Although a little time consuming (it takes about 30-40 minutes), steaming artichokes is really rather simple, and so worth it! Whether you serve them with a little bit of melted butter and a squeeze of lemon, a creamy dip, or just on their own, they are sure to be a big hit.
What You Will Need
Steaming pot, or a pot and steamer basket
Garlic clove (for seasoning)
- Fill you pot with water until just under the steaming basket. If the artichoke is sitting in water, it's nutrients will leach out, so try to avoid this. Add garlic to the water for added flavor.
- Rinse your artichokes, then cut off the stem and about 1/2 - 1 inch off the top. Snip the rest of the prickly thorns with a pair of kitchen scissors (optional).
- Rub all of the cut areas with lemon juice (if you are using fresh lemons, you can just rub half a lemon over the areas). This keeps it from turning brown.
- Place the artichokes in the steamer basket bottom side up.
- Cover and steam for 30-40 minutes or until tender. You should be able to easily pierce the base with a fork.
Wrapping it Up
That's it! Just remember to scoop out the "hairs" before eating the heart. Enjoy!
Thanks for reading my blog! Please leave your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or meals you would like to see me cook, in the comments below. If you like this blog, please follow me!